Planet Earth Scouts

Sustainable Stewardship of Our Planet Earth

I am loving this new network and how smoothly it runs!!

My name is Lynn and I am the facilitator of a small group in The Dalles, Oregon. Right now the group consists of our two girls, ages 3 1/2 and almost 10. We also have several adults who are volunteers with our group, including my Mother and a couple of family friends.

We have done several small community clean-up events, and one LARGE one. We had a total of 10 volunteers, and packed up nine 30 gallon garbage bags, as well as filled up several recycle bins worth of recyclables.

Our group also has teamed up with Clean World Movement to help track what we clean up and how much of it we get each time. These reports are talked about on their network.

One thing about our group is our 9 year old daughter, she is a heart patient. Last year she had started doing her daily walks and clean-ups with her Grandmother. About two months later, she had heart surgery to correct a fused valve. She was up and doing her clean-ups about 2 weeks later!

One of our major projects is taking on the school meal system. With several students having food allergies, and Kati's heart issues, we are vigilant in monitoring what they eat. It is depressing to know that the meals they are served haven't changed much since the 20+ years since I went to that same school.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lynn

Hope all is going well with you and your family. How is your daughter doing? I was moved by your story and agree about diet and nutrition being in need of close attention for all our children. I have learned a great deal over the years about the importance of organic food and staying away from fried foods as well as sugar! Give Kati our 'cheers' for her courage, strength, and beauty...

Let me know if you need any help and I am looking forward to getting to know you more.
Hello! Thank you for the kind words, Kati is doing SO much better after her heart surgery, and is gaining much needed weight! She has joined the Garden Club at her school, and is eager to help them become interested in the Earth and maybe even Earth Scouts.

We are all doing well, keeping in mind that our family is our core strength and we build on that. She has even taken an interest in foods she once "disliked" like potatoes, so now she's interested in learning to cook like her Dad!

I will most definitely pass on your kind words and cheers!!
I see I am not the only night owl! Great to hear about Kati and her new interest in cooking! My boys are 10 and 13 and they are finally learning the love of preparing their own dishes. It is fun to watch them in the kitchen! Getting them to clean up is the next step.

I am done for the night now - just sent out a broadcast to the whole network and feeling the yawns coming on.

Good night!

RSS

Content and images published on this site created FOR Planet Earth Scouts are owned by the community and under Creative Commons License.

Read More here

Earth Scouts Induction Oath

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOW TO USE THIS NETWORK VIDEO TUTORIALS

Planet Earth Scouts Main Blog

© 2018   Created by SeThInk Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service