What you'll need:
- Plastic 2 liter soda pop bottle with cap
- Very sharp scissors or craft knife
- Dirt or potting soil
How to make it:
- Remove the label from the bottle. Discard label. Save cap!
- Wash and rinse out the bottle and cap.
- Cut the bottle close to the bottom. There may be a "line" near the end of where the label was, that's a good place to cut. You can cut it higher if you wish.
- Lightly place dirt or potting soil in the base.
- Plant a few seeds in the dirt.
- Lightly water.
- Put the cap on the bottle.
- Cover the base with the top of the bottle. You will have to fiddle with it a bit to fit back inside the base.
- Place in a sunny spot and watch for your seeds to grow.
- When the plants are ready, repot them or plant them in your garden.
- If your soil starts to look a little dry before your seeds come up, you can unscrew the cap and insert the head of spray bottle of water. Spritz several squirts into the terrarium.
- This project can also be done with individual sized water bottles. Don't plant more than two seeds in a small bottle like this or they will be overcrowded and won't grow.
- This makes a great classroom project, just ask each student to bring in a water bottle or 2 liter bottle. Ask students if any of their parents have a garden and would be willing to donate seeds. Bird seed will work for the project as well!